Fwd: CUP away


Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: ben bensedgemore@hotmail.com Date: 21 March 2016 at 21:52:34 WET To: Neil King <NeilKing1957@Hotmail.com> Cc: ben bensedgemore@hotmail.com Subject: CUP away

It was a bright spring morning for the vets trip to Cambridge University Press. Our opponents had managed to beat us earlier in the season albeit we did feel that our dominance at home had not been rewarded on the day. So we travelled to their impressive grounds full of confidence and hopeful that we could exact revenge. Unfortunately we had a couple of "drop outs" to contend with ( not talking about you this time Dippy - but if the cap fits!) and despite a few last minute rallying calls we turned up with a bare 11 and Sedgemore senior - our loyal/only supporter in tow. On the plus side, it was easy to pick the team and we managed to resist the temptation of putting Jardine as sub! Although we only had 11 it was a well balanced and strong side. From the kick off we dominated the early exchanges with Howard, Jardine, Sedge and Two Touch all forcing the agile away keeper into making saves. Some of our play was quick and impressive with the pace and movement of Howard, Jardine and Paul keeping our opponents on their toes. Nigel was busy and industrious (no doubt keen to justify the mammoth post match eating session that concludes each weekend). His levels of encouragement and positivity were infectious and this kept everyone in the right frame of mind- even Jard! Our defence was looking solid too, repelling most advances with ease. Roy was sharp as a tack getting a toe in to every forward manoeuvre and dominating powerfully. Having had a few weeks cold weather and altitude training in freezing conditions in the alps he seemed reenergised ( just like the old days in Scotland) whilst Glen was sweeping up with ease and commanding his box well. However it wasn't all one way traffic and a speculative cross was half cleared to their tall dreadlocked forward who drilled in a crisp drive and before you knew it we were a goal down. We kept our heads though and Clarky and kev were stroking it around at the back and accurately finding their team mates. 1-0 down at half time.

We kept our confidence up though and believed we could come back and so it proved. A good spell of pressure down the right freed Daz who had just taken a corner. He kept his composure and drilled in a low drive that left their keeper rooted to the spot. 1-1. Our grip on the game was soon strengthened as a terrific whipped corner from Sedge was powered home by Roy' s head so powerfully that the ball screamed! It sounded like it had been smashed with an anvil but Roy timed his run perfectly and his header almost ripped the net open. It was a great goal- but he does not want to talk about it - much!. 1-2 to us. Sedge was looking fit again and spraying the ball around and Two Touch was grafting hard to break up the opponents play and it looked like we would go further ahead. Sadly a long punt down field caught the defence napping for the first and only time in the match and their nippy winger pounced to level the scores. 2-2. Despite this we kept pressing with confidence and before long a great bit of play from Jardine saw him dispossess their right back, sprint down the left and drill a great Cross to Howard who stretched brilliantly to poke the ball past their keeper. 2-3 to us. Surely we would go on to demoralise our opponents now. No! Another speculative effort was chipped toward Glen's goal and a shout of "safe - leave it" led to a miraculous outcome. Firstly Glen did as he was told pulling his hands away but secondly the ball dropped into the top of our net much to everyone's disappointment and disbelief. 3-3 and this was really game on. Despite this setback the hardy 11 stood firm and grew in determination with Nigel, sedge and Howard playing some great short passing and before long Jardine got a chance which he duly dispatched. 3-4. We had learned from our mistakes though and a great ball forward freed Two Touch ( Stephen Hastings) breaking the offside trap. Quickly, he spotted the on-rushing keeper to lob a sublime side-footed finish over their stopper and into the empty net it was a great goal on a day of great goals all over. 3-5. And that is how it ended. It was fair result and a positive display with no injuries except the ball). both teams displayed a great spirit on an excellent surface, with a good ref, a bit of sunshine and 8 goals to enjoy. We visited the local for chip butties and a pint- it is great to be alive...

Brilliant result, with bullet header Roy winning the M.O.M award