Hemingford v Buckden

The penultimate game of the season and the last at home saw the visit of Buckden, a team who have helped us out over the years with players when we’ve been struggling to field a side. Always a good contest and always played in the best of spirit this one was to be no different. The visitors fielded two tall strikers alongside several well known faces including Lingy, Kev and Scotty. Hemingford welcomed newcomer Dave Wilson in midfield and deputising for Kieran we started with Chrissy Parker in goal, to be replaced at half time by Roy.

Sedge, who had just played squash and included himself among the subs called for a high tempo start and the team duly obliged. Simon, Walshy, Two Touch and Dave were bossing the midfield...the latter receiving a bloody nose from a stray elbow for his troubles. Up front Midge and Howie were the usual handful whilst at the back, as ever, Kev was dealing with the aerial threat in typical fashion. Chances soon came along and from one low cross from the right Walshy got a good contact on the volley only to be denied a certain goal by a superb blocking tackle. He was on the mark some ten minutes later however, scoring with a low shot across the keeper.

Next on the score sheet was debutant Dave Wilson with a well struck left foot finish after a great passing move. In between these efforts Gav had embarked on several typical lung-bursting runs. As Sedge had predicted, Buckden we’re struggling to live with the pace of the game but they did manage some forays into the home half, the ball eventually being cleared after some pin-ball action in the 18 yard box. Chrissy Parker then held a well struck shot from outside the area. Worse was to follow for them when Midge was presented with a chance he was never going to pass up. Half-time and 3-0.

Hemingford had started with a strong squad of 15 with everyone being promised a game and the changes were being rung although they didn’t appear to alter the momentum or direction of play. Buckden are not a team to roll over and they plugged away and for spells even had the better of the play, without really troubling Roy who had taken over in goal. At the other end several chances came and went with Twos having a couple of headed efforts just off target and Kev Anderson denied a one-on -one by a good block from their keeper. It looked as though Buckden might finally get on the score-sheet when the ball broke to Lingy and another of their rangy forwards. Bearing down on goal Hemingford were relieved at the (predictable) sight of Roy coming away with the ball and the two Buckden lads on the ground ! They did finally get some reward in strange circumstances when Kev Hurst, now running the line, correctly flagged their winger at least 4 yards offside. Nige Parker jogged into the box to pick up the loose ball...unfortunately he actually picked it up and the ref gave a spot kick...his explanation being that he hadn’t blown for offside ! Conor duly dispatched the kick, 3-1. The game continued to ebb and flow although to be fair very few more chances were made and Hemingford completed the home season in impressive form. Well done to Sedge for rotating the squad fairly...he did make a cameo appearance late on. Great debut from Dave Wilson and typical M O M running by Gav. Well done also to Walshy for answering the call, washing the kit and playing virtually the whole game having come straight from coaching the kids. Buckden deserved great great credit for never letting their heads drop and competing to the last, it’s always a game to look forward to with them.