Hemingford v Moulton

Struggling for a team for this fixture the home side were missing several very important players and it was all hands to the pumps, ( literally, unfortunately for Kev Anderson who was guarding a warehouse fire in London ! ). Ten men warmed up, whilst Moulton had the luxury of 15 to choose from. Typical of Hemingford’s squad spirit Andy volunteered to keep goal as he was unfit to play outfield, Kieran was due to turn up and take over at half time and with 5 minutes to go to kick-off Walshey turned up from coaching his lad’s team, got changed and took the field as the whistle blew.

Moulton had several young looking forwards but the early action was all around their 18 yard box. Bosjo ran onto a defence-splitting pass from Sedge, caught the ball on the goal line out on the right and flighted a perfect cross to the back post for Walshey to head it the wrong side of the post by the width of his hair product ! Hemingford were bossing these early stages and another through ball put Bosjo in on goal but he was denied by a last ditch challenge. Still the home side pressed and after a goalmouth scramble Glen got his name on the score sheet , 1-0. Moulton were in disarray now and should have been two or three down within the first 20 minutes, the usually reliable Bosj making his own space to round the keeper and both centre backs before missing the target from inside the 6 yard box. To his credit he continued to run the channels and chase down every ball that came his way. As the half time whistle approached Moulton managed several breaks upfield but the home defence was in fine form with Kev dominating at the back and Gav using his pace to sweep any loose balls. Roy and Stu were enjoying the better of the wingers whilst Walshey appeared all over the park breaking up moves with some strong challenges. Andy was rarely troubled in goal but dealt comfortably with anything that came his way. Half time 1-0.

    Sedge’s team talk called for more of the same high tempo football and the warning not to become complacent and let the opposition back into the game. Kieran duly replaced Andy in goal, who had done sterling work and stayed on to run the line and possibly return between the posts if injury forced anyone to have to come off. Moulton rang the changes and in truth had very much the better of a dour second half. Fresh legs gave them the edge and they pulled level when Kieran could only parry a shot which fell just out of Gav’s reach and was toe-poked home for 1-1. It was becoming a backs-to the wall effort to preserve the unbeaten run. Glen was coming in for some harsh treatment, never a good idea, and voiced his side of the argument on a couple of occasions whilst on the lighter side we were treated to the great spectacle of a Clarkie trip, stumble and eventual crash to the ground with no-one really anywhere near him. To be fair, this was John’s first game for almost 2 years, he stayed the distance and combined well with Sedge and Nige Parker in midfield. Apart from a couple of long range efforts from Bosjo and a few easily defended corners at the home end there was little else of note as the game drew to a close. Hemingford duly kept the unbeaten run going and given the shortage of players could be satisfied overall. Walshey was deservedly voted man of the match for his tireless efforts and a big thanks to Kingy, who refereed in order to allow Clarkie to ensure we had an eleven. Honours even 1-1.

Hemingford : Andy, (Kieran),Stu, Gav, Kev, Roy, Nigel, Sedge, Clarkie, Walshey, Glen and Bosjo