Red Bull vs Hemingford

With what was a frosty start to Sunday the squad lay wait at home for confirmation that the game would go ahead. Then at 9.00am on the dot a text from Kingy confirming that kick off had be moved to 11.00am to allow the pitch to thaw and we were GAME ON..

Sunday morning at Queens College, sun shining, bowling green of a pitch and Red Bull were the opposition. This is why we still play football…..

A strong Hemingford squad warmed up with Kieran in goal, Nigel, Sully, Kev and Keeble at the back, Gav, Sedge, Simon and 2touch in midfield and Howard and Midge up front. This left us with a strong bench with Fraser and Walshy.

Red Bull started the stronger team, pressing the ball high and putting the Hemingford lads under immediate pressure. This pressure soon paid off with Keeble getting caught on the ball, conceding a foul just outside the box. The resulting free-kick saw Red Bull capitalise with the game’s opening goal.

The Hemingford lads bounced back immediately, creating a number of close opportunities with fast play between he midfield and front 2, but the Red Bull Keeper was on fine form pulling off some great saves.

The Red Bull pressure continued and a slick through ball beating the offside trap left Kieran isolated. 2 – 0 Red Bull…

The same ball caught out the Hemingford defence again soon after causing another 1 on 1 with Kieran, but just as the Hemingford heads dropped at what looked like a 3rd goal, the ever spritely Nigel came from know where to tackle the ball on the goal line and clear to safety. Both teams continued to battle, but unfortunately Red Bull scored a 3rd before half time, pushing the game further from Hemingford’s grip.

Sedge didn’t mince his words in the half time team talk. We had been schooled and things needed to change or the scoring line could become embarrassing. A few changes were made, but Sedge kept to the same formation asking for more effort and pride.

From kick off you could see the change in character of the Hemingford lads. The wide areas were being better utilised with Simon and Walshy seeing more of the ball. 2 Touch dropped back slightly giving more protection to our defence. Our midfield didn’t give the Red Bull players any time on the ball, defence were staying strong and Howard and Midge were creating chances. This upturn soon paid dividend, 3-1, Hemingford were back in the game (I know Howard put this one away, but cannot remember the goal for the life of me!!!).

This sparked a compete change in the game. It was all Hemingford and the Red Bull players were left scratching their heads. Another change saw Gav replace Keeble at the back to freshen things up further. Soon after this, Sully made a bursting run from left back playing a 1-2 before slotting to ball home. 3-2 game on. This soon became 3-3 with the Red Bull team struggling to see how they could stop the constant pressure.

This continued with Hemingford on the front foot. Some great passing play between Simon and Midge down the right before Howard stepped up and calmly slotted the ball out of the reach of the goal keeper in to the roof of the net form the edge of the penalty box. Spark the celebrations, 3-4 to Hemingford.

Unfortunately 5 minutes from full time Red Bull were awarded a penalty, which was calmly put away bringing the final score to 4-4.

It’s safe to say that it was a game of 2 halves and on reflection a draw was probably a fair result.

Well done lads…