Match Report vs CUP

Match report vs CUP

Sunday 5th February dawned cold and misty with the Hemingford pitch heavy and rutted in places. The away fixture ended in one of the very few 0-0 draws in vets football, there was to be no repeat performance today. From the kick-off Hemingford took control and it was only a matter of time before they opened the scoring. Sedge's through ball was collected by Gav who turned his marker and rolled the ball into the path of 2-touch. His first-time shot was well saved by the keeper but Rudders was on hand to finish with a strong drive. CUP were having trouble getting out of their own half and it wasn't long before 2-touch converted another Centre by Gav with a low shot from around 12 yards. Their keeper was unhappy with his team's marking but Hemingford were playing some excellent football , moving the ball quickly on a difficult surface. The early threat was down the left and Gav got his first, followed in short order by his second and third to make the score 5-0. Cambs heads were down and Sedge got in on the act , finishing a move which began with Paul at the back, 2 quick passes and a curler into the top corner which the keeper could only help on its way. Our back four of Paul, Fraser and the two Kevs, Hurst and Anderson were rarely troubled and Alex in goal directing operations . In midfield Sedge and Simon were winning the ball well whilst Nige Parker kept everyone on their toes and 2-touch put in his usual hard graft. Half-time 6-0.     CUP must have groaned at the sight of Roy Essendoh coming on at the start of the second half. Other subs entering the fray were Daz and Stu Smith. The game continued in similar fashion although CUP were holding onto the ball a little better. In a rare break their fast-running centre managed a shot on target and shortly afterwards forced Alex into his first real save of the day, getting down well to his left with a strong hand to turn the ball round the post for a corner. Shortly afterwards he managed the slightest of touches to deflect a good strike into the underside of the bar , the rebound being cleared to safety. Two corners in quick succession gave CUP some hope of a consolation but after Rudders rattled their bar with a great strike Daz pounced to take the score to 7-0. Big Roy was working both wings with his characteristic runs and great control whilst at the other end  Nige who had dropped into the back four was marshalling the defence as only he can. Alex was denied a clean sheet however by a perfectly struck free-kick from just outside the area which gave him no chance. It seemed as though that would be the end of the scoring, but 2-touch headed a deserved second, making up for a first-half penalty claim when he was blatantly pushed in the back, brilliantly denied by ref Blakie who reckoned we'd scored enough goals by that stage !
     Hemingford slowed a little in the second half, but to be fair CUP upped their game a little, avoiding a humiliating score line. Played in the best of spirits a good performance all round with the game effectively killed off in the first half hour. Man of the Match went to Gav for a great first-half hat-trick, an inspired positional strategy from manager Kingy !