Away v Cambs. Community

The Lads travelled away to Cambridge full of optimism and spirit despite the wet and wintry conditions that had prevailed since the preceding evening.

We had a few stalwarts AWOL and globe trotting (Howard Skiing in the Alps, Dippy backpacking to Australia, Stu Smith personally flying to Tel Aviv and Nigel raiding some poor grannies buffet) but Kingy still mustered a strong squad to choose from, with guest centre back Fraser from Milton joining the throng, along with the Buckden boys and Lingy who was back from injury, so we had strength in every position.

The game kicked off and we looked terrific.  Despite the wet surface we were zipping the ball around brilliantly and some of the football was breathtaking.

Our opposition on the day seemed to be shorn of their entire Eastern European contingent who had been strong players in previous encounters 

(maybe unfortunate victims of Brexit!).

As the match kicked off, Pearcey was vocal and looked commanding in goal and great partnerships were forming all around the pitch.

Paul and Chris Parker were combining brilliantly down the left, feeding Two Touch and Keeble who were working tirelessly and dominating in midfield.  Midge and Rudders were making great runs up top and Hursty and Fraser looked solid and assured at centre back.  Down the right Sedge and Simon were playing some great stuff.  Never let it be said that you can't influence the game from full back, as Simon was sharp into the tackle, quick over the ground and really setting the tempo with slick passing and urgency in his play.

Before long we scored a good goal with Midge cutting back in his usual unselfish manner for Two Touch to pick out the bottom corner with a well-taken finish.

Soon after it was 2-0 ,with Chris Parker curling in one of his trademark benders into the far bottom corner after cutting in from the left.

Quickly it became 3-0 as Sedge drilled in a powerful strike on the run after a classy cut back from the left.

Our opponents were shocked but with the tempo and fluency of the passing they were clearly no match for us in this mood.

Two Touch soon added a 4th from a corner with a powerful and well taken header.

On the half hour Sedge and Chris Keeble came off to give Kev Anderson and Darren a run and they too looked lively and on form.

It was not all one way traffic but the defence and Pearcey were strong and sharp and always on hand to keep our opponents at bay.  Half time 4 - 0.


At half time Chris Parker switched with Pearcey in goal and Sedge continued to shuffle the pack. Chris Parker was called into action on a few occasions and he too made some good saves.  They hit the bar once and so did we in the second half.

We were not quite as fluent to begin with but Lingy got straight into the action from half time and performed excellently despite a recent return from a longstanding injury.

Our team was a joy to play in and no-one really wanted to come off.

Midge got the full 90 but everyone else had a spell on the sidelines and enjoyed watching some great football and everyone supported their teammates whether they were on the pitch or off it.

In fairness our opponents never gave up, albeit they lacked the pace and quality to hurt us on the day.  Their spirit was maintained throughout which was a credit to them and they continued to defend doggedly making some great last ditch tackles and blocks despite the demoralising scoreline.


A great chip to the back post by Kevin Anderson was duly despatched by Rudders and Sedge curled a cracker into the top corner from the left in true Chris parker style for the 6th.  Two Touch was getting itchy feet on the sidelines as he was chasing a hat-trick and after narrowly missing one opportunity with his left, he made no mistake with his right after some good interplay with Rudders on the edge of the box.

We had other chances with Darren, Chris Parker, Kev Anderson, Sedge, Midge and Pearcey all coming close but 7-0 it stayed.


It was an excellent display but we know tougher tests are to come in the form of West Wratting and Redbull in the next two weeks.


Simon was deservedly named Man of the Match after an exemplary display - albeit Two Touch's hat trick will live long in his memory - and everyone else's if he has anything to do with it...