Fwd: Home vs Cambridge Community

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: ben bensedgemore@hotmail.com Date: 20 April 2015 22:09:24 BST To: Neil King <NeilKing1957@Hotmail.com> Subject: Home vs Cambridge Community

April the 19th saw the lads play their last vets game of a tremendous season. Some of us had set out our stall to remain unbeaten for the year (with the exception of Redbull) and having beaten our old foes in the last encounter we had this final vets game to complete the task.

We had a strong squad to chose from and everyone was determined to play a part. Our opponents looked like a keen bunch and seemed to have had an hour warm up prior to our arrival- even though we were at home! The Community team were a real mixed bag with seemingly all nations represented. It felt like an international match. Some of them looked to be very useful players and pretty fit whereas there were a few others with lesser technique and experience. That said they were a good bunch of relatively youthful guys and they seemed to have a good work ethic, enthusiasm and camaraderie.

Despite the hard pitch we were knocking the ball around well and causing some problems. There was some good skill, slick passing and great movement all over the pitch. We soon found ourselves on top, dominating possession and troubling their tall keeper repeatedly. We won corner after corner but the keeper caught a few at full stretch whilst others were scrambled away. However after another corner their agile keeper fell awkwardly and had to be replaced. On came a shorter, apparently less capable deputy! After a couple of attempts at a taking a goal kick they finally got it together and our dominance continued albeit we could not get the goal we craved. The new keeper fumbled a few but again the ball trickled wide of the net. Chances came and went but the resolute opposition hung on until half time. Glen had made one great save tipping over when it looked goal bound, so they still posed a dangerous threat on the break.

We had a serious chat in the changing rooms and agreed we needed to raise our tempo to make sure we did not come unstuck at the final hurdle. As the game got underway we again dominated proceedings but sadly our finishing was getting worse and more than a dozen chances came and went. The keeper had grown in confidence and began pulling off a number of saves including an amazing one from Roy's powerful close range overhead kick. The pressure seemed to worry us and you wondered if it was going to be our day. The more we became anxious, the more we snatched at the chances but as time wore on the threat of them catching us on the break also grew and there were a few close encounters. We kept pushing and pushing, working hard to keep them at bay and finally with about 5 mins to go, Howard sped away from the defence and kept a cool head to roll the ball past their on-rushing keeper. This led to wild celebrations as the deadlock was finally broken! It was an incredible relief all round. We continued in the same vein and Sedge grabbed a second with a powerful volley after some good work from Jardine.

The whistle blew and friendly handshakes were exchanged. We knew we had completed our mission and they knew they had performed to their maximum. Another great win for our collection...

Seven players were nominated for man of the match, with Sedge, Howard and Wazza tied on 3 votes each.

It was a special day not only for the result but also for Dippy - who was finally presented with his own towel and shin pads courtesy of our excellent manager Neil King.

Sent from my iPad