Fwd: Vets fixture 22nd March match report

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: ben bensedgemore@hotmail.com Date: 23 March 2015 23:45:45 CET To: Neil King neilking1957@hotmail.com Cc: bensedgemore@hotmail.com Subject: Re: Vets fixture 22nd March match report

After a month without a game the lads took to the road for an away encounter at Perkins. We had played them earlier in the season and although we ran out winners it was a stiff test against a physical and youthful side. Fortunately Kingy provided us with a map of the ground as it would have been impossible to find without it. Clubman Kemp even brought along some additional colour copies of the map to ensure his team mates made it! It was a pretty good set up there and the Game had a feeling of a reunion about it as we had not been together for so long. We had 14 to choose from and it was a strong squad. Clarky made a good plan to rotate the players so that everyone got a good run out. Glen is still hanging on in the UK (not sure they will let him in) and looked the part in goal despite having little to do except some impressive kicking and sweeping up. We started with skipper Clark are right back, Paul at left back with the "odd couple" Hursty and Matt Warren (the one with hair and pace!) at Centre back. In fairness it is a formidable partnership and both seem to complement each other with their differing strengths. Kev Anderson was marauding down the right and Nigel Parker was giving Jard some good abuse down the left! Wazza and Sedge started in midfield with Kempy and jardine's legs up front. Stu Smith, Daryl and Roy started on the bench. The ref was a real chatter box before the game and we feared that he might ruin the match but he was great and kept the game flowing with a good level of discipline and a bit of banter too.

The pitch was rock hard and incredibly bobbly and the month's absence seemed to have left us a bit rusty. There were some really young guys in the Perkins squad and it looked they had some useful technical and physical ability. Clarky decided he would mix it with them in the early stages, leaping like a salmon to crash a defensive header forward, unfortunately he was wedged in the midst of a Perkins sandwich and landed on his knee awkwardly we he descended and with less than 10 minutes on the clock he was limping off and gurning like a bulldog chewing a wasp! Unlucky Clarky. Smithy was straight into the fray and using the ball sensibly and to good effect.

Misfortune soon followed though as a terrific whipped cross from their right was met with a bullet header from their youthful Polish forward. Glen could do nothing about it as it flew past him. This gave us a shock but it was justified at that stage based upon the balance of play and we feared we may be in for a really tough examination.

That said Howard and Jard were causing some problems for the Perkins defence, with Howard ghosting past players as it they were not there and Nigel and Kev feeding some good balls in. After about 20 minutes Jard was through on goal with only the keeper to beat but sadly his legs defeated him instead and he crashed to the floor. However, Howard drove powerfully into the area and unselfishly squared the ball across the box for Jard to tap in the equaliser. This gave everyone a lift and we started to impose ourselves on the Game.

More chances came and went and a number of corners too before Howard again jinked into the box and unsettled a few defenders one of whom fell on the ball with his arm and the ref had no hesitation in awarding a penalty. Sedge confidently stepped up (with Kingy away on holiday) and sent the keeper the wrong way and the vets deservedly took the lead. Daryl and Roy had also come on at centre back and left back respectively and both settled in well as we began to improve our passing game on the tricky surface. Equally if they did fancy a physical encounter then we were more than a match for them with our very own enforcer Daryl, who gave another unsuspecting victim his own unique welcome to the match with a bone crunching tackle that left the victim crumpled on the rock hard ground but saw Daryl grinning from ear to ear and bystanders wincing...Daryl did have a great game throughout though.

Half Time

We had played with the wind in the first half and down a slight slope so we knew we would have to keep our tempo up and our standard high and fortunately we continued in the same way that we had finished the half. Perkins clearly had some very skilful individual players but the impressive work ethic and general fitness of our whole squad really stifled them as a mixture of our hard work, impressive closing down and the bobbly pitch saw them running into trouble whereas our slick passing and high work rate was cutting through our opponents regularly. Soon after Howard was at it again cutting in from the left and bamboozling defenders before cutting a great ball back for the on-rushing Sedge who lashed in a powerful left footed strike into the far corner of the goal to make it 3 - 1. It was turning into one way traffic now with Waz, Howard, Jard and Kev Hurst all going close before a corner was cleared to Sedge who drilled the ball back into the area where Wazza was handily placed to deflect the ball in from close range. Shots were raining in now and though Perkins had some possession they could not break through our resolute defence or our workmanlike midfield. Howard had caused problems all afternoon and got a whack for his troubles and came off for a well-deserved rest. Soon after Jard's pace broke the offside trap and managed to go around the keeper and flick the ball into an empty net. Understandably, The spirits of Perkins were broken after this but they were still playing with good sportsmanship and there were friendly handshakes at the End of the game. It was another well-deserved victory to add to our collection.

Then it was into the nice bar where a big screen, sausages, chips and bread and butter were waiting for us. Even better for us, Nigel Parker went home early so there was plenty for everyone!

It was another great performance from our ever improving team and well done to Kingy and Clarky for sorting it all out even though neither managed to play too much on Sunday. We all loved it...including our number 1 supporter- Sedgie's Dad.

Roll on Redbull...

Sent from my iPad

On 16 Mar 2015, at 17:07, "Neil King" neilking1957@hotmail.com wrote:

Find attached map with directions for Sunday game with Perkins Can you advise me if you are going direct or meeting at the club at 9.15am. You can email or text me.

Thanks Neil

Sent from my iPad

On 16 Mar 2015, at 16:59, Neil King neilking1957@hotmail.com wrote:

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kevin Johnson Johnson_Kevin@perkins.com Date: 12 March 2015 12:46:56 GMT To: neilking1957@hotmail.com Subject: Vets fixture 22nd March


Venue details attached