Vets match v Newmarket won 4 1

Another victory against a very good Newmarket team,the weather was wet and windy and the pitch was abit bumpy but it didn't stop both sides playing some great football. 

Today we welcome another new signing Jardine Bell best known playing for Godmanchester vets. Our captain Clarke was also back giving us a squad of 16. Having won the toss we played against the wind in the 1st half and we passed the ball around well after 10 mins Sedge sprayed a ball out left for Paul to chase,he controlled the ball and laid it back to King who was just outside the box his short pass into the box to find wazza ,and he in turn laid it off to the oncoming Sedge who from 10yrd drilled it passed the keeper.1  0

We were over committing for the next 15 mins and Newmarket caused us a few problems, but our defence with Nigel Parker organising things kept them at bay,but he and the rest of the defence couldn't stop there goal with there forward finishing off a great move. 1 1. The game was spoilt a bit after 35 mins when a couple of bad challenges went unpunished and this caused abit of hand bag stuff which ruined the game abit for me. Both players were sin binned until half time so 1 1 at half time. We were both back with 11 a side 2nd half  and alot of apologies said ,i introduced  Kevin ,Roy and Jardine to the fray. The game became stretched now with the pitch sapping the legs,but we always seem to keep it going abit longer than most teams and alot of chances came and went, Wazza in particular missed a sitter from 8yds (most unlike him) but like all good players this didn't stop him getting into the right positions again and again and it was  him that was in the right position to finish off another good move when Sedge laid the ball off to him from 12yds out and wazza struck it into the net.  This settled us down and Jardine should have done better with another chance but balloned it over the bar. Roy Essendoh also had 3 attempts with the keeper making 3 easy saves,most until Roy. Jardine did finally get on the score sheet ,when scoring from 6yds out 3 1. The final goal came from our marauding left back Kevin Anderson,he actually started the move way in his own half,and with his manager encouraging him to continue his run he ended up receiving the ball back to him 8yds out and coolly slotted it passed  the keeper.

We couldn't do as well if it hadn't been for our defence  especially Kevin Hurst and Nigel Parker being nice and solid . So the game ended 4 1 good result hand shakes all round ,which vets football should be.. Todays man of the match goes to one our midfield generals wazza .

The new players have rejuvenated us older players making us into a very good team again.  Next week we entertain  St Ives.

Sent from Samsung tablet