Fwd: Match vs st ives

Sent from Samsung tablet

-------- Original message -------- From: ben bensedgemore@hotmail.com Date: 14/12/2014 14:00 (GMT+00:00) To: NeilKing1957@Hotmail.com Subject: Match vs st ives

Today saw the vets in action against the old enemy st Ives at home. We had 13 players available and a strong side to choose from. Dave Williams opted for a spot on the bench as he believed he could inflict more pain on the opponents in an out field position rather than in goal! The game started brightly and it was clear it was going to be a tight contest. Barry stared in goal with the youthful Parker at right back keeping things moving and talking well, slender Glen and hairless Hurst were proving a strong partnership in Central defence and Matt at left back was working his socks off for the team and helping us to dominate possession. Dippy and Kev Anderson were causing problems down the flanks and as the half wore on Sedge and Wazza had taken control of the midfield. Roy and Howard were looking like a formidable pair up front and we were starting to create chances with the physical presence of Roy and the speed of Howard keeping the opposition defence occupied. Howard created a chance for himself dancing past two St Ives players before curling a beauty towards the far post. Sadly it just went wide of the top corner. Sedge was next into the action being denied by a great last ditch tackle after a through ball from Roy. Then Sedge hit the bar from 30 yards with a powerful left foot drive. Hemingford looked to be getting stronger and stronger but Sadly a quick break saw an injury for Roy who had to come off to be replaced by Jardine. Despite the change we still had control and it was not long before Wazza had the ball in the net after some good work from Glen who was wiped out by the keeper for his troubles. What looked to be a good goal was ruled out for offside. The linesmans flag was going up and down like fiddlers elbow which became increasingly frustrating to say the least. A late tackle by Brett on Wazza was punished by the referee but Brett came off worse against the pocket dynamo Everdell. 0-0 half time.

The game continued to be dominated by Hemingford but the defence still had to be alive to the threat on the break. Jardine went close after a good ball from Howard and Dippy was causing some problems with his twists and turns. Sedge went close with a pile driver from 30 yards and then he had the ball in the net from close range after a great cross from Kev. Again this was ruled out for a supposed shove on the keeper. After all of the disappointments it looked like a draw was on the cards but the best move if the day saw kemp rob a tired St Ives defender before laying the ball back to Dave Williams who had replaced dippy. Dave held the ball in before feeding a great ball to Wazza who coolly found the corner from 18 yards. It was a great goal and justice was done for all of the hard work that had been undertaken to that point. Rather than press on we sat back a little which allowed St Ives back into the game. However, the team were determined to keep the great run going and weathered the storm to secure another terrific and hard-fought 1-0 victory. It was an excellent team display with everyone justifying their post match sandwiches kindly provided by Phil - who even produced them despite not playing. Phil was supported by Kev Anderson who both delivered well before the main event of Mrs Glen next week... Sent from my iPad