The Hemingford Peace Memorial Field
A brief history
1944 The Beginning
A public meeting was held on 12th December 1944 when it was decided to inaugurate a Scheme for commemorating the Peace. For this purpose Hemingford Grey and Hemingford Abbots should combine.
The form which the memorial was to take was that of a playing field to serve the needs of the two villages
The thought of thanksgiving for victory
A tribute to all those who served their country
The provision of something which would be of permanent value to residents and their children
The form which the memorial is to take is that of a playing field to serve the needs of the two villages
The inauguration of the Scheme
The Vineyard was gifted by Lt.Col.S.D. Hayward to the villages for this purpose.
The cost of turning the Vineyard into a playing field was estimated by the National Playing Fields Association to cost £2,500
The ministry of Education offered £1,350 subject to the balance being provided by the villages.
A committee, formed by representatives of the two villages, was formed to take the necessary steps.
An appeal was made to obtain funds to layout and equip the field
The Hemingfords' Peace Memorial Field
The appeal for funding December 12th 1944
December 1946 to May 1949
Construction of the Playing Fields
Construction of the first Pavilion
Two tennis courts
Children’s play area
11th August 1949
The Grand Opening
The opening was attended by over three hundred villagers
The official opening took place by the unveiling of a plaque at 3:00pm by the actress Lana Morris
The Nissen Huts
The Nissen Huts served their purpose for many years but were eventually replaced in 1964
One of the reasons given was that a long six from the cricket square landing on the hut resulted in showers of rust falling onto the cricketers sandwiches.
An order was placed for a new Pavilion to replace the two Nissen Huts in August 1964
The design was of a single story wooden construction at a cost of £3,066
The construction was completed in June 1965
The old wooden Pavilion was coming to the end of its useful life and an ambitious plan was drawn up to replace it with a two story brick built Pavilion at a cost of £70,000
Grants amounting to £41,000 were secured with the balance raised by the Trustees and Constituent clubs
Click on the picture to see how six of our intrepid squash players raised funds to help finance the cost of the new Pavilion
The Hemingford Peace Memorial Field
The Hayward Hall and Manor Room
Built at a cost of £250,000
£130,000 from Hemingford Grey Parish Council
(which included £90,000 from Beazer Homes as part of the Pinders Green planning agreement)
£51,000 raised by the constituent clubs
£35,000 from a brewery loan
£20,000 raised by the trustees
New Squash Courts and Bowls Clubhouse
The Sports Academy, a non profit making organisation, was set up in 2003 by David Morgan, a village resident, to develop a Cambridgeshire based centre of excellence for young squash players.
A fourth squash court was required, with a viewing area, if Hunts County Squash wished to apply to run National Championships and create capacity for increased coaching time.
A planning application for a fourth glass back court with viewing area and an improved clubhouse for the bowls club and its members was approved in July 2004
For more information on The Sports Academy, and David Morgan, and the support they have given to the Hemingford Pavilion please click here to be taken to the Hunts County Squash Club website
The Hayward Hall benefited from a £13,000 refurbishment funded by grants from The National Lottery and AmeyCespa
New chairs, refurbished floor and state of the art audio visual system were installed
The Community Cinema was opened in December 2011
In January 2013 the Manor Room benefited from a £10,000 refurbishment funded by The National Lottery and funds provided by the Trustees
New chairs and tables, a multi purpose floor and state of the art audio visual equipment were installed
A grant was awarded to the Hemingford Peace Memorial Field by The National Lottery to install air conditioning in the Hayward Hall and Chris Page Room